December 7, 2007

Rabbit

I hadn't seen him.
He just ran into me.
In the rear view mirror I see
half a rabbit
dragging his body to the grassy ditch.
His legs have already died.
It's only Tuesday
and I am walking
towards the twitching creature
hoping he is just in shock,
that everything is going to be all right.

Like when my stepfather
beat me with an unhinged door
and my mom told me later
everything would be fine.
Like when my best friend started licking
my cheeks in the middle of the night,
and we never talked about it.

The rabbit's eyes
are glowing and he
has to trust me.
I hold him and feel
his quivering.
Does he know
he is going to die?
And when he does,
his black jello eyes
go behind the curtain.

What world do I live in?
I am not accustomed to death
without TV.

1 comment:

Christopher Eaton said...

I will need to reread this one many times ... the power in its composition is seemingly straight forward at first, but I feel there is more to read between the lines ...
I must absorb it.